1. Repetition is not punishment. It’s the oldest and most effective form of learning. If you want to improve any skill and be good at anything… you must practice with purpose for thousands and thousands of reps.
2. Be respectful. Respect yourself. Respect others. Respect animals. Respect the environment. Respect beliefs.
3. You can’t be anything you want to be… but you can be anything you deserve to be. How do you deserve ‘it’? Work hard, work smart and work consistently (and refer to #1).
4. Make good decisions. Every decision you make matters. If you make great decisions consistently, you will enjoy a great life.
5. The most important thing you have to offer another human being is your attention in the present moment. Giving someone your attention shows them you care. And caring matters.
6. You are free to form your own opinions and beliefs. You don’t have to believe what I believe. From politics to religion to personal perspective – be a free thinker.
7. If you do well, you can do good. Money is not the root of evil. People are. Money will simply magnify who you really are. There is nothing wrong with making a lot of money because you get to choose what to do with that money! Money can do a lot of good for a lot of people when used wisely.
8. Never stop learning. Never stop growing. Never stop developing.
9. Self-awareness, empathy, compassion, vulnerability and a sense of purpose are THE most important tools in your toolbox. If you develop those… everything else will fall into place.
10. Find what you love to do, figure out what you are good at – then find where those two points intersect. That is your sweet spot where you will add the most value to the world.
11. Listening is one of the most important skills you can develop. Listening is the key to communication, communication creates connection and connection forged trust. And trust is the foundation of all relationships.
12. If you want something, ask for it. Never be afraid of the word ‘no.’
13. Confrontation, accountability and discipline are signs of love and respect. Embrace them. Give them.
14. When you mess up… acknowledge it, learn from it and move on.
15. You can ask me anything and I will answer truthfully. You can tell me anything and I won’t judge you. I will always love you unconditionally.
16. You need to align your dreams with your habits. If you don’t, one of them needs to change…
17. Be the teammate you want to play with. And I’m not only referring to sports.
18. No one owes you anything. If you want something, earn it. Don’t ‘put your hand out’ unless it’s to help someone else.
19. When you ‘make it to the Penthouse’ – send the elevator back down to bring someone else up.
20. Try new things. Go new places. Meet new people.
21. Being physically fit is not a certain weight or measurement or size… or having six-pack abs… it’s a mindset and a way of life.
22. Don’t play the comparison game. Run your race.
23. ALWAYS put your shopping cart back.
If my kids only do #23, I will have done a pretty good job!